Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"This Is How We Live"

    "This Is How We Live" is an article by Ellen DeGeneres and it is my favorite thing that I've had to read in this class so far this semester.  I expected it to be funny because I don't think it's possible for Ellen not to be, and it sure was.  She poked fun of technologies that we use all the time that really are not essential.  I think that we kind of forget that we don't need them and act as if we do.  Most of the technologies she mentioned, I don't even think about.  But, now that she brought it to my attention, I realize that we don't need a lot of them.  For example, when she talks about how all we do is push buttons, even to open our windows in our cars.  Obviously, we don't need this technology, we are just too lazy to use the old fashioned crank windows.  I appreciated the part where she talks about how technology tortures us.  I agree with everything she said in that part of this article.  I feel like she took my thoughts and put them on paper.  CDs and batteries are impossible to open, while I wonder how light bulbs don't break.  I also have never tried to open scissors, but I've seen them packaged in stores and have thought well how the heck do you open them?!  If you're buying scissors, then you don't have scissors to open them with.  I also thought the part about things that don't need to be easier are getting easier.  Public restrooms are so aggravating now.  Toilets and faucets should be controlled by the people using them, not by a timer.  I also really liked the part about cell phone conversations.  That pretty much describes every cell phone call ever, unless you are sitting in a silent room.  I'm glad that we had to read this article because I found it very entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment